Rental Housing Complaint Investigations
In the City of Zanesville
The City of Zanesville Code Enforcement Division is responsible for complaint response and enforcement within the City of Zanesville. Phone: 740-617-4890.
In Muskingum County – Outside the City of Zanesville
The Zanesville-Muskingum County Health Department is responsible for complaint response and enforcement of alleged structural and sanitation issues in rental houses and apartments in Muskingum County under authority of Board of Health Resolution 01-11.
The Health Department CAN investigate:
- Accumulation of refuse
- Some cases of insect/rodent control
- Plumbing, heating and electrical issues
- Structural issues
The Health Department CANNOT investigate:
- Issues with rent (i.e. lease agreements)
- Criminal/illegal activities
- Eviction orders
Please be advised that our office does not offer legal counsel/advice. We recommend you contact legal services for any information regarding your lease, rent, etc.
We strongly encourage you to speak to your landlord/owner of the property prior to filing a complaint with our office.
Three Ways to File a Complaint
1. Click here to submit a Public Health Complaint Form
2. To submit a paper complaint form, visit the ZMCHD office at 205 N. 7th Street, Zanesville, OH 43701. Hours are Monday-Friday, 8am-4:30pm, but closed on government holidays.
3. Call ZMCHD at 740-454-9741 extension 282 and request a Rental Housing Complaint Form to be e-mailed, mailed or faxed to you. Return the form by mail to: ZMCHD, 205 N. 7th St, Zanesville, OH 43701.